What IWS Fans Are Saying

Friday, March 1, 2013

Wandering Down Memory Lane


Hola y’all! A week ago Matt-Man took a little stroll downmemory lane and talked about some of the things he misses. Not family and friends who have passed away or drifted apart from, those are obvious, but some people places and things from his far and recent past that he misses for different reasons. So, I thought I would do the same this week.

Fishing on the White River and Playing Golf: Fishing for trout on the White River and playing golf are pretty much the only things I ever did with my dad when it was just the two of us. We weren’t close and didn’t talk to each other about our lives or anything like that. Mostly we talked politics and sports when we were together. I’ll never play golf again mostly because of my back and I sold all of my fishing gear after dad died 16 years ago. Maybe someday I’ll buy some more gear and go out there to the Fisherman’s Friend (assuming it’s still there) and fish from their banks again.

The Rocket Restaurant: The Rocket was your typical greasy spoon. They served cheeseburgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken sandwiches and fries and onion rings and whatever else could be deep friend. But, their food wasn’t all that memorable. What I miss is their chocolate milkshakes. They were amazing! They used real, premium chocolate ice cream that didn’t taste like the usual chocolate ice cream you could get at the store pour in some Hershey’s Syrup. Then they would mix it for the perfect length of time to make it thick yet creamy and it was pure Heaven!

The Old HGTV shows. I’ve said many times that I never and have possibly never will own a home, but I love home improvement and gardening/landscaping shows. HGTV had cool shows like “Help Around the House,” “Weekend Warriors,” “Gardening by the Yard” and “Designer’s Challenge” where they ALWAYS brought the inside out, and the outside in. They weren’t just real estate investment or house flipping shows, they actually taught us how to do things. Things like fixing door jams, replacing windows, patching hardwood floors and other small jobs that can be so annoying to do. Gardening by the Yard’s host was this goofy guy who lived over in Tulsa then moved to Nashville. He gave so much great advice on keeping your garden, shrubs, flowers and lawn in tip-top shape. Now all they do is build “water features.”

The old Bloggerhood. Back in the day I just couldn’t wait to get on the computer and wander the Bloggerhood to see what people were up to. So many creative and funny people were blogging and we really did seem to build a community. We laughed and each other’s jokes and hilarious adventures. We got angry when someone was wronged in some way. And we cried when people lost family members or struggled with life. Then we all joined Facebook and that was that.

Glass Pepsi Bottles. Pepsi (or any pop/soda/soft drink) is soooooo much better in a glass bottle than it is in the can or yucky plastic bottle. It gets colder in glass bottles and I think that’s what makes the taste better. The only place I can still find it in bottles is over at the Mexican Market in Green Forrest. Sometimes it’s worth the 20 minute drive over there just to enjoy Pepsi the way God meant it to be drunk. And maybe while I’m drinking that Pepsi I’ll sit there in the car and listen to good old 70’s and 80’s heavy metal music.


7 comments:

Mike said...

Glass bottle don't collapse when you're vacuuming the soda out. You get that last little bit of suction on the bottle and let it pop and the fizz explodes. It can't happen with plastic bottles.

So, get yourself a glass bottle and start transferring one at a time.

I'm With Stupid said...

Gardening by the Yard was my favorite HGTV show ever. The dude was goofy, funny, but always helpful and interesting. Cheers!!

Matt-Man

Jo said...

This post stabbed me in the heart a little, Jay!

The old hood was really great. I think the way we connect online will keep evolving & something more meaningful than FB will take hold.

Love coke in bottles!

I'm With Stupid said...

Mike: And those plastic bottles will be sitting in landfills a million years from now too.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Matt-Man: That was probably the most useful gardening/landscaping show ever on TV. That guy knew what he was talking about.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Jo: It was kinda sad, wasn't it.

Everyone prefers the old glass bottles. That's probably why they stopped using them. ha

Jay

Knight said...

Oh man. This made me sad too. I remember the days when I was so excited to read what everyone was up to and we chatted in comments. Then everyone met up in Facebook hell.

Pepsi in a bottle was so much better. When my brother was about ten my grandmother gave him an Easter gift that she found in her basement. It was a mini glass Pepsi bottle that my uncle had made into a bong.