What IWS Fans Are Saying

Monday, August 19, 2013

Bad Backs, Bad Poetry and Weed

Well I tweaked my back once again. It’s nothing major just an annoying stiffness and minor pain. I can get around fine as long as I alternate between standing, sitting and lying down.

While I was lying on my bed this afternoon I suddenly realized something. I don’t have any access to drugs. Like some Vicodin or OxyContin or Percocet or any of that good stuff. How the hell did this happen to me? How did I end up in situation where I have NO friends or acquaintances that could just hand me a little baggie and say “Here dude. This will help.” 


When I first injured my back quite badly a few years ago, I had several coworkers who offered to “help me out” with some meds. They would just have their cousins bring some of the “good stuff” up from Mexico when they came to visit for the weekend. I said “no thanks” because I was getting a good supply of Vicodin and muscle relaxants from the quacks doctors at the downtown San Antonio clinic that my insurance thought I should share with all the pregnant teenagers, homeless people and hookers.

A few people were pretty sure that all I needed to do was to begin smoking weed. The third shift supervisor was the first person to tell me all about how he hurt his back years earlier and the only thing that made it all better was the hippie lettuce.

I wasn’t all that surprised by the dude, he had a wallet with a marijuana leaf on it. But, the sweet little Vietnamese lady did surprise me when she offered to share some of her stash with me. She was pretty much the last person in the whole building that I would have suspected to be a pot head. And here I thought she was just naturally funny.


And there were SEVERAL people who told me that all I needed to do was to get some Holy Water and rub that on my back and it would be cured. I wasn’t sure how to acquire this magical clear, watery substance. I figured getting a hold of this stuff wasn’t as risky as trying to buy some OxyContin or something. Turns out I was wrong. You actually have to go to a Catholic Church to get it. I guess they sell it in the gift shop?

So I checked online and found that I can buy three bottles of Jordan River Holy Water for only $32.97.

Holy shit! That stuff is expensive. I think pot is cheaper than that.

After a little more searching I found that I could get it a little cheaper at Discount Catholic Products. I don’t know why I find that funny, but I do. If someone shows up at mass with a discount crucifix that they bought online and not in the church gift shop, will he or she be looked down upon? Is discount Holy Water kind of like buy “Always Save” canned veggies? Does God care if you paid full price or not? Probably not, but I do wonder if he has any rules against Methodists using holy water? He’s been known to be kind of picky.  



In case you missed it Sunday’s Bad Poetry Show on IWS Radio was EPIC! Lots of awesomely bad poetry from correspondents and others PLUS calls from Brown Beasely, Nurse Sherri and our favorite Canadian Jamie!! Aaaaaaaaand the newest American Luis the Ice Man and Mrs. Luis came on the show too! You gotta check this one out … 



12 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I hope your back will feel better. A massage works better than holy water, unless it comes from Lake Ponchartrain.

Duckbutt said...

Jewel is hot!

Beth said...

No not the holy water! I had a vile of it turn green on me. Bad juju that stuff.

I'm With Stupid said...

Perhaps Warrior Kat and Nurse Sherri could swing by and work on you. Cheers Jayman!!

Matt-Man

I'm With Stupid said...

Pop Tart: A massage might work better but I'm ticklish.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Duckbutt: Word.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Beth: I'm sure it was supposed to turn green like that. Right?

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Matt-Man: They can cure what ails me!

Jay

jAMiE said...

Jay...perhaps you need a young, Asian female to walk on your back...or something?

Hope you feel better...and I really hope your back trouble doesn't impair your abilities to play Word With Friends...no really, I hope it doesn't!

I'd offer you some of my Percocets, Jay...but then cross-border shipping of such things must be illegal, I think?

Mike said...

I can whip you up a batch of holy water and get it to you in 6-7 days. Unless you want express shipping.

I'm With Stupid said...

Jamie: I couldn't take any of your Percocets anyway. Also, I won't be slowed down on WWF anymore than I already am. ha

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Mike: I'm guess the Holy Water you make will get me drunk enough to not notice my back pain? Thought so.

Jay