What IWS Fans Are Saying

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jay Can Get Awkward Too


Hola y’all! As we found out yesterday, Matt-Man does awkward pretty well. Strange things to tend to happen to him from time to time but I tell you what kids, he doesn’t have the market cornered. Oh hell no. I’ve been known to wander aimlessly into the awkward a bit from time to time myself. In fact, I encounter awkward situations TWICE in two weeks!

I had intended to tell both of these stories on the IWS Podcast, but didn’t think the barbershop story fit in one show and was too busy sitting back laughing while Shirley and Justin went after each other like the Hatfields and McCoys on Saturday. So, instead I’ll share them both with you guys here.

I was at the barber shop last week and Sonja was whacking away on my hair cause sometimes I wait a week or two too long to get it cut and it gets super thick and wavy when a lady came in with her little boy. He looked to be maybe 2? Or 3? I’m not good at guessing ages. Anyway, mommy decided to involve herself in the conversation I was having with Sonja.

That’s okay, I mean it’s a public place and it wasn’t anything personal or deep or anything. But, as often times happen the conversation actually became all about Mommy. Again, whatever. I’m just there to get my haircut and get out. I don’t even need to talk. So she starts telling us about being clean for 4 years after her meth addiction. Good for her! And then she tells us about her dad being clean finally. That’s great. And then she tells us about how after 26 years as a Pentecostal preacher and father, her dad ran off to California to get a sex change operation.

LOLWUT?

She even showed us a picture. How nice! Then Sonja made a very good point. She noted that it’s amazing how someone can spend decades walking side-by-side with the Lord and then just one bad moment JUST LIKE THAT … THE DEVIL GRABS HIM!

That’s when it hit me. Your kids don’t have monsters living under their beds or in their closets. Hell, they don’t even have Evil Clowns under there. It’s EL DIABLO! Be sure to let them know.

Fast forward a few days and I’m perusing the canned meat aisle at Walmart, trying to decide how many cans of Manwich Chili WITH BEANS! I needed. (Spoiler Alert: 2) when I heard someone coming at me in one of those little scooters. I turned and looked at him and then made sure that my basket was far enough over to give him room to get around and went back to the very serious business of canned meats.

Instead of going around me, the guy stopped and the said ‘I THINK I WENT TO SKOOOOOL WITH YEWWWWWWWWWWWW.”

At this point I let out an audible sigh, looked to the sky and said “WHY ME GOD? WHY ME?”

I turned around, looked at him again and then awkwardly shrugged my shoulders and said “Sorry, I don’t think I recognize you.” He then said “I went to Redneck High, did you?” “Yeah.” He then told me he was the class of ’85 and I told him I was ’86 and he said “Yeah, I thought so.”

I still didn’t recognize him so he told me that he was in the band. I told him that didn’t seem to help. So then he told me all about the guy who was the Band Director back then almost dying in a motorcycle accident and other small talk about school and he rode off into the sunset without ever telling me his name. I still don’t know who he is even though he seemed to know me.

This is why I don’t like to go out in public.

Jayman
Jayman3768@gmail.com
@Jayman_IWS

8 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

You know what's even more annoying about the people who threw themselves upon you? I bet they don't like beans in their chili. Freaks!! Cheers Jayman!!

Matt-Man

Unknown said...

I can relate with this.

I don't care if people talk. I don't even care if people talk near me.

But why the hell do they need to talk TO me?

Mike said...

And you didn't ask scooter guys name? I would have been too curious.

Jo said...

Meth always makes things awkward. I wonder if Miss Manners has added that to her etiquette book yet.

Someone left a small unopened pop-top can of little weenies on my porch. Twice. That's awkward, right?

I'm With Stupid said...

Matt-Man: I don't associate with those people.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Katy: It's always very disturbing when they do that.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Mike: I started to, but was afraid he'd ask mine and next thing you know he would be adding me on Facebook.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Jo: So you have a stalker who likes Vienna Sausages. Weird. Very weird.

Jay