What IWS Fans Are Saying

Monday, December 10, 2012

Living in a Van Down by the River

Cheers Bitches, and Happy Monday…Matt-Man here.

There are quite a few things going on and going down in my life this week, so I’d thought I’d do a pre-cap of all the action that will be unfolding, so when I go over the edge, you’ll know what is going on and why I will have lost my mind.

Found out yesterday that my BFF/OSP Schmoop who hasn't worked since October 22 due to health issues, has been denied at least her first two weeks of unemployment compensation, and may not get any whatsoever.

Apparently, her newly former boss who laid her off, claims to the powers that be, when questioned by the those who give the thumbs up or down to a claimant’s request, that…

“Laid her off!?  Oh no, that’s crazy talk.  There’s plenty of work for her to do here.”

The whiplash that I incurred when Schmoop informed me that that is what the folks at unemployment told her that that is what they had been told by said boss left me feeling and sounding like Dr. Phil.

I…was…STUPIFIED!!

The entire thing would be inexplicable except for one incredibly undeniable and transparent fact…her newly former boss is, and always has been, a completely selfish and self-centered dick who has no regard for anyone unless they are making money for him.

And here is what really disconcerting and foremost in my mind…This Friday, the lovely, yet soon to be indigent Schmoop is going under the knife at OSU Medical Center.

She will be on the table and under the knife for anywhere from 4-7 hours, as Dr. Rawalpindi removes a mass from her bile duct.

It’s bad enough that she has to worry about that, but due to the actions of her newly former boss, she has to worry that after her discharge from the hospital, which will take anywhere from 7-10 days, Schmoop will have to worry if she and we, have a home in which to stay come January.

Am I being hokie?  Am I being melodramatic?

No.

During the chaos surrounding her surgery , the battles over not being compensated, and the trepidation she has over the possibility of having cancer, Schmoop has had only one overriding fear and a singular point of ultimate sorrow…

She said to me…

“This apartment, for as small as it is, is home. I never felt that way at my house growing up, nor when I lived with John, but this is our home, and I don’t want to lose it.”

Here is what this unfeeling, un-thinking, ego-centric, self -serving jerk of a boss doesn’t understand…

With the arrogant and flippant statement he made to the folks at the unemployment office, he not only prevented Schmoop from garnering her opulent unemployment salary of $230.00 per week, he may have kicked her out of the home she loves as well.

Perhaps he doesn't realize that, or…perhaps he does.  Either way…

Even after twelve years of dedicated and loyal service on Schmoop’s behalf to him and his company, confidence is high that he doesn't really care.

And sadly, because of his actions, instead of merely worrying about her surgery, Schmoop has to worry about the financial situation as well.

Well…As I am not one to stand idly by, I will make sure he has to worry about his as well.  Letting his customers know the truth about him and his business practices is one way to do just that.

It won’t make our financial situation any better, but when Schmoop and I are living in a van down by the river, it’ll make me feel much better.

Cheers!!

Matt-Man
mattmaniws@ymail.com
@mattman_iws

On a lighter note…Jay and I broadcast a most festive and astounding celebration of Hanukkah on the IWS Radio Show Saturday night.  We had music, frivolity, and a regaling of all things Jewish.  We also checked-in with Dour Mike and Ariel Sharon.  If you missed it live, you can catch the magic right here:


6 comments:

Mike said...

Sometimes you have to apply two or three times before an unimployment goes through. Keep trying.

I'm With Stupid said...

Mike: Maybe in Missouri...Not in Ohio. I am very familiar with Ohio unemployment workings. Cheers Mike!!

Matt-Man

I'm With Stupid said...

Jay: IKR? On top of that Jayman...What he did to her and how he treated her, made her sad. And no, I'm not kidding. Cheers Jayman!!

Matt-Man

Dana said...

I've given up on expecting employers to do the right thing. I know there are some out there who do, but they are few and far between.

Neither of you need additional stress right now - especially additional financial stress, and Schoopm's boss' inability to be human is ... well? Inhumane ...

I'm With Stupid said...

Dana: I know what you mean, but there are good ones out there as well. And, the power of IWS may have turned the tables and partially rectified the situation. Cheers Dana!!

Matt-Man

Jo said...

Has there been good news? I'm so worried for you guys. We went through a mini-pocalypse a few years ago and nothing quite tops the hell of a health crisis while also worrying about keeping a roof over your head.

I wish I had the money to help.