What IWS Fans Are Saying

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Men's Fashion Rules are Confusing

Hola fashionistas! As you probably know I’m not the most fashionable guy. Sometimes I think that I should up my game a bit and wear fancier clothes but then I think why bother? Actually, I guess should because going with the modern homeless look doesn’t exactly impress the babes.

What has brought this on you ask? Lately I’ve noticed this trend of men wearing jackets but no tie along with a dress shirt that is unbuttoned at the top.  That putz Chris Hayes is dressing this way for his new show on MSNBC and then some dude named Dave Briggs doing the same opposite the OH SO GOOD-LOOKING Thomas Roberts Wed morning.

When did this become a thing? Has it always been okay to do this? It seems a bit too casual to me. I doubt anyone wants their lawyer looking all kicked back and casual like that. Like maybe he was already done for the day at the 8 am trial or something. Same goes for your financial adviser  Tie off means he’s already called it a day and isn’t worried that the market is going down faster than Jay Leno’s ratings.

Maybe Hayes and the rest in the media are going for the “Hey, I’m just a regular guy like you” look? Best of luck with that y’all. You’re not a regular working stiff and you don’t relate to, or care about people in flyover country. I say go back to the more formal and trustworthy look of the tie and jacket. Would Walter Cronkite or Tom Brokaw go jacket and no tie? Hell no! Edward R Murrow was damn good at the loosened tie, unbuttoned shirt, no jacket look though. That totally worked for him and was an indication of how hard he went every day. Kind of like the Tony Bennett bow tie is off shirt is unbuttoned singing “I Left My Heart in San Francisco” at the end of the show look.

It’s also my understanding that while “jacket, no tie” is acceptable, “tie, no jacket” isn’t. This kind of sucks
because that’s actually MY preferred look because the jacket is usually uncomfortable and makes me too warm. It seems like if you take the jacket off AND roll up the sleeves that should be perfectly acceptable, especially in the summer.

I mean, I get that you have be careful not to do the white shirt, black tie, no jacket look. If you do that everyone will think you’re a Mormon and nobody will sit with you at lunch. So be sure to wear colors. Pink, yellow, blue, red and even lavender shirts will all reassure your coworkers and others that they can sit next to you without you trying to convert them.

Also, the Zipper Tie is perfectly acceptable right? Because if it isn’t I’ll have to reassess my position on the jacket, no tie situation. The only kind of tie I can wear is the Zipper Tie because tying a tie is like the hardest think in the history of the world.


12 comments:

I'm With Stupid said...

Zipper ties are for the mentally and physically challenged...except in your case of course. For you? They are perfect. Cheers Jayman!!

Matt-Man

Mike said...

Ties and coats and useless pieces of clothing not like the string bikini and high heels which are awesome.

Fortune Cookies said...

what makes tie, no jacket unacceptable? if the kids can wear a tie with a ratty old t-shirt, doesn't that pretty much leave it at anything goes?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Jay as long as your pants cover your ass and I don't have to see your tidy whities I say a shirt, tie and no jacket is A-ok!

(You may want to share that with Beiber)

Knight said...

You should do the t-shirt and a jacket look. It's the clothing version of a mullet. Business on top, party underneath!

I'm still laughing over "Tidy Whities" I'm sure yours ARE tidy!

I'm With Stupid said...

Matt-Man: Zipper Ties are one of the great inventions of our time.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Mike: You can wear bikinis and heels with your suit. No problem.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Fortune Cookies: I agree, break all the rules!!!

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Margaret: Ha! Maybe there should be a rule that says undies must match the suit so nothing embarrassing happens.

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Knight: Who says I wear any at all?? Hmmm???? Ha!

I think the t-shirt and jacket look is better than the buttoned up golf knit shirt and jacket look.

Jay

oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, coach outlet, louboutin outlet, burberry outlet online, true religion outlet, longchamp handbags, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton handbags, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, longchamp handbags, coach purses, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, burberry outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, coach outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, kate spade handbags, prada handbags, nike air max, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, coach factory outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, gucci outlet, air max, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, prada outlet, true religion jeans, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online

oakleyses said...

nike trainers, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors, new balance pas cher, nike blazer, karen millen, north face, timberland, michael kors, sac louis vuitton, vans pas cher, converse pas cher, hollister, air max, air force, ralph lauren pas cher, ralph lauren, longchamp, longchamp, longchamps, mulberry, hogan outlet, hollister, louboutin, lululemon, ray ban pas cher, sac louis vuitton, nike free pas cher, air jordan, nike free, nike air max, hollister, nike roshe, michael kors, barbour, louis vuitton, vans shoes, vanessa bruno, hermes pas cher, sac guess, nike huarache, lacoste, montre homme, north face, louis vuitton uk, nike roshe run, oakley pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, tn pas cher, burberry