What IWS Fans Are Saying

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

If You're Happy, I'm Happy

Hola y’all! One of the things I tell people all the time is “If you’re happy, I’m happy.” I’m always amazed at how often people think I’m being a smart-ass or joking with them when I say that. It’s a little hurtful even to be honest with you. Why would people think I’m not being sincere? Why do people always think I’m joking when I’m being serious and think I’m being serious when I’m just joking?

ANSWERS! I WANT ANSWERS!

Actually I know the answer. It’s because most people are the opposite. They love it when others are miserable or when bad things happen to them and are themselves miserable when good things happen to their “friends.” I’ve never quite understood this attitude, but I see it play out all the time on social media sites.

Anyhoodle, as you probably know, I’m a pretty good sports fan. I have a few teams that I’m a die-hard fan of. I’m a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks, San Antonio Spurs, St. Louis Cardinals, New Orleans Saints, New York Knicks and the Houston Texans.

I really on have a few teams that I dislike and never root for: Alabama, Auburn, Duke, THE Ohio State University, Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Cubs. For the most part this is because of their fans more than anything else.

Generally the rest of the teams don’t mean much to me, unless I’m friends with someone who is a fan of a certain team. In that case, I generally root for my friend’s team to win because I want my friend to be happy.*

Hell, this weekend Arkansas lost to LSU in football, but I wasn’t that upset about it. That’s because my BFF, the lovely and talented Ms. Warrior_Kat is a HUGE LSU fan and I knew she would be happy that they one. And I like it when she’s happy, so that mitigated the disappointment in MY TEAM losing. (It also helped that Arkansas is a piece of shit football team and I already knew they would lose, but I was still happy that Kat was happy.)

I used to hate Notre Dame. I ranked them right up there with Ohio State and Duke when it came to rude, obnoxious, condescending and generally insufferable fan bases. And, I have an irrational a perfectly legit and reasonable dislike of Lou Holtz. But, over the years as Notre Dame has struggled, I’ve found their fans to be far less delusional than fans of other schools and pro teams when their teams begin to suck.

And, my good friend and lover partner in crime Matt-Man is a big Notre Dame fan. So, I’ve actually found myself rooting the Irish this season, which feels a little weird. If Matt wasn’t a big Notre Dame fan, I would have still watched them this season because they’re a good team and I would certainly be ready to root for them in the BCS Championship against Alabama! But, because he is a fan, I have actually rooted for them all season.

I know people have the exact opposite attitude. Or even worse, they feel the need to refer to everyone other than their team as the enemy and find a reason to HATE them and their fans. I have a former friend who is a former friend because she took this to real extremes over … BASEBALL! Yes, the most insignificant of all sports and for her everyone her team played was full of horrible human beings and the fans of her team’s opponents were all scumbags and whatever other names she came up with to call them. I just don’t understand that shit.

This “If you’re happy, I’m happy” attitude extends beyond sports too. That was just the best example I could come up with. I know a lot of people live pretty miserable lives and I guess that’s why they get so much pleasure out of bad things happening to others. I don’t understand why though, it’s not like it makes your life any less miserable for other people to suffer too. I guess getting pleasure out of other people’s misfortune is just a character flaw.

Jayman
Jayman3768@gmail.com
@Jayman_IWS

*This attitude doesn’t extend to politics though. While I feel bad for you if your team loses a big game and you’re down or sad, I can’t feel that way because you were hoping Mitt Romney would win. Sorry.

In other news we had a “Cyber Monday Extravaganza” on a special Monday edition of IWS. There was a minor technical glitch early on, but after we got past that, we had a pretty good time. So, check it out!


Listen to internet radio with Im With Stupid on Blog Talk Radio


8 comments:

Mike said...

"I generally root for my friend’s team"

Can you root for 'Lottery Team MIKE'?!

Gnetch said...

You also think I'm being sarcastic when I'm not. Hey, nothing's fair in this world. :p

I'm With Stupid said...

You are a good man Jay and it's nice to know that you'll be there to pick up the pieces when Notre Dame gets crushed by Alabama...or Georgia. Cheers!!

Matt-Man

I'm With Stupid said...

Mike: I guess I can, but Lottery Team Jay is my #1 team in that league. ;-)

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Gnetch: Hey now! I know all those vague almost passive-aggressive posts on Tumblr about creepy weirdos are aimed at me! I don't care how often you deny it!! haha ;-p ;-p ;-p

Jay

I'm With Stupid said...

Matt-Man: I'm glad that you have a realistic outlook when it comes to that game.

Jay

Anonymous said...

I think like you do, Jay! You're a good egg!! Hee! Love ya!! Guess who??

Jo said...

So if I'm happy despite my misery, and beneath the misery is a layer of stoic cheerfulness and under that is a bog of unresolved pain and anxiety sprinkled with more misery and a reckless sort of joy...you would be---happy?